Why?

Saturday, June 10, 2006

The guilt of the selfish

It is said that such a thing as healthy selfishness exists. When the word selfish is being referred to in any context, the connotation it has is in most cases negative. Now, I find myself wondering about the extent to which an act of selfishness can reach before it is regarded as something negative. Or should I in fact wonder what extent the healthy and more postive selfishness reaches? When is selfishness allowed?

Selfishness will always benefit you and only you. Maybe in the long run, in a distant way it might, I emphasise the word might, benefit someone else too but the effects would be minor. The bottom line with being selfish is that you do something because you want to and it will give you some form of satisfaction and happiness. Your main aim is not to do favours for others when you make a decision, which would be commonly regarded as selfish.

So, should guilt always follow as a side product of selfishness? Is the feeling of guilt an inevitable consequence for those who perform acts of selfishness? Not only the feeling of guilt in your own terms but guilt, which other people make you feel.

Is there a clear limit as to where the line is crossed between negative and positive selfishness?

And the thing that I am most curious about is when do you know when it is allowed for you to be selfish? How does one know? Who is going to tell you?

Well, at least I know what I'll be asking Santa for next Christmas...

"Dear Santa, I wish to receive a sign when selfish behaviour is recommended instead of condemned..."

1 Comments:

Blogger Tugc said...

I guess i cannot think any more appropriate words describing how i feel..this post just reflcts..

12:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home